Microbiology and Sanitary-Hygienic Laboratory
Candidate of Biological Sciences, Head of Testing
Structure of the laboratory
The testing laboratory center consists of two divisions: sanitary-hygienic laboratory and microbiological laboratory. The hygienic laboratory is accredited for conducting laboratory activities, the microbiological laboratory is licensed to work with the RG4 Biological Agents. The laboratories carry out sanitary-chemical and microbiological monitoring of all stages of production of bottled drinking water. Also, laboratories perform analysis of mineral water, centralized (tap water) and non-centralized sources of water (springs, wells). The following methods of physical and chemical studies are used in the work: titrimetry, conductometry, photometry, potentiometry.
Functions of the laboratory:
– Determination of organoleptic and physical – chemical properties, determination of composition and microbiological purity of the following items:
- Drinking water prepackaged in containers;
- Water from centralized drinking and technical water supply systems, including hot water supply;
- Water from not centralized water supply;
- Mineral natural drinking water;
- Distilled water;
- Non-alcoholic beverages.
– Determination of the microbiological purity of handwipes and sanitary clothing of personnel, wipes from process equipment; wipes from containers and sealing units, sampling.
Instrumentation of microbiological and sanitary-hygienic laboratory:
- pH-meter-ionomer “Ecotest-120” is intended for measuring activity parameters (pH, pX) and mass or molar concentration (C) of ions, oxidation-reduction potential (Eh), temperature (T) in water and water medium. It’s used for measurements of the hydrogen index (pH), concentration of ions of potassium, sodium, fluoride ions in drinking and natural waters.
- Odyssey DR-2500 spectrophotometer – measuring of transmittance, optical density, concentration and pH solutions. It’s used to measure muddiness, color value, concentration of nitrate ions, nitrite ions, nitrate ions, iodide ions, iron ions, ammonium, silicium, manganese in drinking and natural waters.
- Conductometric fluid analyzer Cond 330i – measuring of specific electrical conductivity of water and water solutions (results in units of resistance, salinity and salt content). It’s used to determine the electrical conductivity of drinking, natural waters, as well as distilled water.
- Water biotesting Laboratory (WBL) – a set of devices for determining the toxic level of drinking, natural and waste water, water extracts from soils, sewage sludge, waste from the measurement of the optical density of chlorella algae test culture (Chlorella vulgaris Beijer).
- Laboratory equiarm balance of the 2nd class, model VLR-200 – determination of substance mass during laboratory investigations. Weighing range: 0,5-200,000 mg.
- Electronic laboratory scales CAS MWP-300 – determination of substance mass during laboratory investigations. Weighing range: 0,01-300 g.
- Electronic desktop scales MK-6.3 A20 – measurement of substance mass and cargo in the range: 0,001-6,0 kg.
- Electric drying closet SNOL-3,5-I5M – thermal treatment of products and materials under stationary conditions at temperature from 700C to 3500C with increased requirements for uniformity of temperature. It’s used to determine the solid residue in water and to dry reagents and laboratory dishes.
- Four-place washhouse LOIP LB-140 – heating of flasks, glasses and other containers in the laboratory at the temperature exceeding the ambient temperature in the range from 5С to 100С. It’s used to determine the smell of drinking water at 60C.
- Air purification and disinfection unit BOV-001-AMC – sterile laminar cabinet-box (2 class of biological safety) is designed to create a local working area for sterile work, protection of personnel, products and the environment from possible contamination when working with RG3, RG4 pathogenic biological agents (PBA). It is used in microbiological studies of drinking water, washings, when working with RG4 PBA.
- Electric dry-air cooling thermostat TCO-1/80 SPU – is designed to obtain and maintain a stable temperature inside the working chamber, necessary for bacteriological and serological studies. The range is from + 5С to + 60С. It’s used to incubate biological material at 22 C.
- Electric dry-air thermostat ТС-1/80 SPU – is designed to obtain and maintain in the working chamber stable temperature necessary for carrying out of bacteriological and serological studies. Temperature control range is from ambient temperature to + 60C. It’s used to incubate biological material at 37C.
- Electric dry-air thermostat TS-1/20 SPU – is designed to obtain and maintain a stable temperature inside the working chamber, necessary for bacteriological and serological studies. The range is from ambient temperature to +60С. It is used for incubation of biological material at 44С-55С.
- Electronic laboratory scales Acom JW-1- 200 – determination of substance mass during laboratory studies. Weighing range: 0,2-200 g.
- Steam Sterilizer DGM-500 – is designed for sterilization of surgical instrument, medical devices, textiles, laboratory glassware, hermetically sealed bottles with solutions using water-saturated steam. The sterilization temperature is from 105C to 132C. It’s used for sterilization of laboratory dishes, nutrient medium, tools.
- Steam sterilizer GK-10-1 – is designed for sterilization of tools and medical devices using water saturated steam. The sterilization temperature is 132C. It’s used for disinfection of biological material, laboratory glassware and tools.